TELEPHONE CENTRAL OFFICES

NEVADA CENTRAL OFFICES

RENO"MAIN" TANDEM CENTRAL OFFICE

 AT&T TOLL OFFICE

 
 Back to   main page

 

 

  Reno "Main" was originally built by the Bell Telephone Company of Nevada in the 1920's to bring telephone service to the northwestern portion of Nevada.  In June 1956, AT&T deployed direct distance dialing service from Reno and the office was classified as a Class 3 or "Primary" office in the hierarchy switching plan with direct trunk groups to the Sacramento Regional office.  Early toll service was provided by #2 Cross-bar Tandem switches followed by #4A ETS.  In May 1982, AT&T installed a 4ESS switching system to the Reno Tandem.  Reno had two "toll" switches, 0200T and 0304T. Microwave telephone service started in 1952 when Reno was tapped into the intercontinental microwave system being deployed by AT&T.  Eventually Reno was connected to only Mount Charleston (south) and Peavine Peak (north) with TD-2 paths.  Intertoll routes connected all the state's toll offices into Reno because it was the only Primary office in the state.  Intertoll routes included Elko, Ely, Fallon, Gardnerville, Henderson, Las Vegas, Pioche, Tonopah, Winnemucca and Yerington.  Reno also had an intertoll route to Susanville, California. Today Reno has connections to Las Vegas, Denver, Roseville, Sacramento, Richland, Elko and Winnemucca.

Microwave long-haul paths from Reno were: Mt. Charleston and Peavine Peak (later removed)

Another view looking

   Microwave structure on the top of office

  Microwave antennas pointing south. Path to Mt. Charleston

  Overall view of complex with

 Back to:  or  TELEPHONE CENTRAL OFFICES