TELEPHONE CENTRAL OFFICES
TENNESSEE CENTRAL OFFICES
NASHVILLE "MAIN" BELL SOUTH TANDEM AND AT&T TOLL OFFICE
|Back to Tennessee main page||
Nashville was originally constructed by South Central Bell in the 1900's to serve the growing city of Nashville. In the October 1956, with the addition #4A long-distance switching machines, Nashville became a Sectional Center under AT&T's Direct Distance Dialing Network. Direct trunk groups were established between Nashville and the Knoxville, Shelbyville and Chattanooga primary offices and a direct trunk to the Rockdale Regional office. Microwave service was added in the early 1960s with paths to Lebanon, Ivy Point and Brentwood. (Two others were added later). AT&T installed 4ESS equipment in January of 1978. The Nashville office is now a regional tandem for Bellsouth in the Nashville region. Current fiber connects Nashville to Memphis, Farmington, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Louisville and Jackson (Miss).
Microwave paths from Nashville were: Brentwood, Ivy Point, Lebanon, Graball and Laverne.
Overall office view showing AT&T to the right (with tower), Bell South Tandem (red) and Bell South corporate building (Behind, also tallest building in Nashville).
Looking to the east. Typical large scale windowless tandem office 15 stories high. (BellSouth portion)
Looking to the southeast. Brick building is original AT&T office, and red modern building is Bell South.
AT&T building with microwave tower on top.
Another of the AT&T building.
Tower view looking southeast.
Back to: TENNESSEE or TELEPHONE CENTRAL OFFICES