Telephone Central Offices

Home Page

WASHINGTON STATE TELEPHONE CENTRAL OFFICE'S

 

AREA CODE 206

Original area code for the state of Washington when direct distance dialing was introduced to Seattle in 1947.  When first introduced, the area code covered the entire state until it was split in 1957.  Area was originally served by Sunset Telephone & Telegraph Company, then Pacific Telephone & Telegraph in 1917, was split to Pacific Northwestern Bell in 1961 and became USWest in 1984 after the divestiture.  USWest became Qwest in 2000 and the current company CenturyLink in 2011.

 

DES MOINES


 



SEATTLE 03 "EAST"

Seattle 03 is a Tandem office and hosts offices in the eastern and southern Seattle Metropolitan area and the Tacoma region (relieved the Tacoma Tandem office).

Microwave service once connected Seattle 03 with Orting, Rattlesnake and Everett, while cable trunks provided connection to Tacoma and Seattle 06 "Main".

Switch type: 5ESS



SEATTLE 04 "EMERSON"

 



SEATTLE 05 "ATWATER"

Serves Northwestern Seattle and Queen Anne areas.  Once had microwave service with connections to Gold Mountain, Mount Blyn and Enumclaw. 



SEATTLE 06 "MAIN"

The main tandem/toll office for the Seattle and northern Washington region.  The Seattle Main became a Sectional Office when Direct Distance Dialing was introduced to Seattle in 1957.  As a Sectional Office (Class 2), Seattle had direct trunk groups to the Bellingham, Spokane, Yakima and Ketchikan, Alaska Primary offices.  Seattle was connected directly to the Sacramento Regional Office.  Prior to divestiture in 1984, Seattle also connected to the Tacoma and Anchorage, Alaska primary offices.

Inter-toll routes connected Seattle Main with Juneau, Everett and Bremerton.

A 4ESS Switch was installed in May 1980, and the office was considered a "Gateway" Toll Office  with direct trunk groups to Canada and Alaska.




SEATTLE "CAMPUS"

As the name suggests, this office serves the University District and University of Washington.



SEATTLE "CHERRY"

Original Pacific Telephone & Telegraph office built to serve the Burien area and later SeaTac.



SEATTLE "DUWAMISH"

Built in the 1960's to relieve Seattle West and provide service to the growing industrial area around Boeing Field.  Also home to The Museum of Communications, an amazing collection of vintage telephone equipment and history including a working step-by-step switch and only working panel switch in the world.  Please see their website at Museum of Communications





SEATTLE "ELLIOT"

Large metropolitan central office serving a majority of exchanges in the downtown Seattle area.



SEATTLE "LAKEVIEW"
Serving Northeast Seattle, Ravenna and Wedgwood.



SEATTLE "PARKWAY"
Originally built in the 1920's by Pacific Telephone & Telegraph and later addition built to the left in the 1960's.  Serves Southeast Seattle, Beacon Hill and Columbia City.



SEATTLE "SUNSET"
Built in the 1920's by Pacific Telephone & Telegraph to serve Northwestern Seattle, Ballard and North Beach.

 

SEATTLE "WEST"

Original office constructed in the 1920's with an addition during the 1950's.

Return to Telephone Central Offices