Telephone Central Offices

Home Page

WASHINGTON STATE TELEPHONE CENTRAL OFFICE'S

 

AREA CODE 253

Area code was split from 206 during 1997, and established to serve southern Seattle suburbs, Tacoma and southern portion of the Puget Sound.  Area was originally served by Sunset Telephone & Telegraph Co, then Pacific Telephone & Telegraph in 1917, was split to Pacific Northwestern Bell in 1961 and became USWest in 1984 after the divestiture.  USWest became Qwest in 2000 and the current company CenturyLink in 2011.

 

ARLETTA


Remote switch hosted by the Gig Harbor Office.



FEDERAL WAY

 



GIG HARBOR

 



GRAHAM

 



KENT






KENT "O'BRIEN"

Built in the 1960s to relieve Kent and serve the growing industrial section north of the city.


Photo of Tacoma "Fawcett" office in 1935, from Bell Technical Journal



TACOMA "FAWCETT"

Original Pacific Telephone & Telegraph office built in the 1930s to serve Tacoma and the surrounding area.  Became a Primary Office with direct distance dialing in the late 1960s using a Cross-Bar Tandem switch with direct trunk group connection to the Seattle Primary and intertoll trunks to the Morton Tandem.  A #4ESS switch was installed in December 1992.  Today the tandem is homed to the Seattle East office.



TACOMA "GREENFIELD"

 



TACOMA "JUNIPER"

 



TACOMA "LENOX"

 



TACOMA "LOGAN"
Thanks to AB for the photo
 



TACOMA "SKYLINE"

 



TACOMA "WAVERLEY"

Serving Fife.

TACOMA "WAVERLEY 7"

Serving the south portion of Federal Way

Return to Telephone Central Offices